Monday, November 05, 2007

An Apology

Baby, baby they do not want you
Baby, I know not what to do.
This world is a bad place anyway
People here die a new death everyday.
My sweet, my precious, I have no power
They shout, they stomp…they make me cower.
Yet I wish you had seen the moon
Poems, chocolates, ballads I croon.
I wish I could hold your little toes,
When you cry, your tiny crinkled nose.
Baby, my baby please do not blame
I was ignorant…only playing a game.
You’ll never see these salty drops of tear
You’ll never feel my heart freeze in fear
Of hurting you, of losing you
When they abort you and my soul too.
Darling, angel please forgive
A weak mother who truly does grieve.
In reveries and dreams come back to me
You and I baby, happy shall we be.
Bye my child please do forgive
Poor your mother still has to live.

12 comments:

Anoo. said...

This is so uncanny, I am writing a story about the same issue of infanticide...
The poem is very thought-provoking

Jadis said...

Chilling. Overwhelmingly so.
And very very very speaking.

storyteller said...

beautiful poetry, as always...

Sreetama said...

Ever heard of protection? Safe sex? Why do u have to bring this little one anyway when u can't take care of it? Show him/her the light of this earth? N if u can't then don't shade those tears. I know, accisents do occur. In these situation, its better to abot than to bring the child & add trouble to ur & that angel's life. I dunno, which one is better but...plz be more careful next time.

r tor ki byapar bolto? ei niye duto lekha likhli??? Something fishy! ki j korish! Chheleta/lokta k???[:P]

Sreetama said...

I want something from the father's POV.

Anonymous said...

hey grt blog!! wanna xchange links???
http://soulintoxicated.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great post.....You hv been missing from my blog ?

Anonymous said...

i quite like the way you wrote this...

Gauri Gharpure said...

beautiful.. touching

The Mad Girl said...

@anurima-thanks.eagerly waiting to read your story.

@jadis-thank you girl.

@shreya-aww! thanks.

@sree-okay we'll have to meet to debate over this.

@lover-thank you.will surely visit urs.

@ashu-thanks.yeah was a li'l busy.

@inihos-thankuuu.

@gauri-thank you.

Arnab Gupta said...

Um... having being witness to your writing talents, I wonder if you could have been a little more subtle in revealing the subject of the poem, and whether it would have made it even better..

Great piece, as always, though!

The Mad Girl said...

@Arnabda-this poem was inspired by a poster outside a clinic...which said something like freedom from unwanted motherhood for just rs.1000.So the mother in the poem does not belong to the very high end of the society,nor is she quite educated...so I tried to give her such a not-very-refined way of expressing herself.
I thank you sincerely for your criticism.:-)