Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Don’t stare at me quizzically
with your black crystal eyes
when I am writing of love and pain.
The light of the table lamp,
you interrupt with the shadow
of your lanky frame
and head full of noodle-curls.
You hover like a constant refrain
at the back of my mind.
Like some catchy tune
that would not let me alone
and go on playing inside my head
even when I am thinking of
something else…someone else.
I try to be impersonal.
Can’t you see?
Can’t you refrain from
devouring my words
and upsetting their coherence
making my poem
dance to your cadence?
But you will push your face
close to mine…
so close that nothing distances
our skins…not even air.
So close that I can see
your pupils dilate and retract.
your strong perfume suffocates me.
The same one you called masculine
and I, obnoxious
and yet craved for
behind the façade of lies.
You keep drawing my head
onto your shoulders
knowing full well that
I have given up needing them.
I hate it when you smile
your slow lopsided smile
as I search for metaphors
to explicate love.
And that’s not only because it distracts me.
Don’t you realize it has to be impersonal?
Bringing in my schoolgirl mad love
like that! Immature, juvenile!
And don’t you realize it’s all gone now?
Gone and dead!
Dead and gone!
How is it that we always forget
that you killed me and I, you?
There! That clouds your eyes
That wipes off your smile.
Leave me now, please…alone...
to write impersonal poems on love.
where all the characters are fictitious.
The boy doesn’t grin like you
The girl isn’t full of quirks.
Where our shadows do not linger.
Yes I promise
I’ll give them a happy ending.


Happy valentine's day everyone. Enjoy!!!

20 comments:

Zahid said...

Thats another touchy story from your pen, err.. your keyboard :)

Wishin you too lots of love on a lovely day !!!
You and your stories both will have a happy ending !!!

Anonymous said...

I hope the end is happy...

little boxes said...

i wish for a happy ending too.
and just a clarification...why do you need a muse?because ur doing beautifully without him/her?

darkling said...

hmmm thats the beautiful love song of a not so mad girl...i too am waiting for a happy ending!!

ps:love cheeku chirping :)

the basu said...

reminds me of a sparrow chirping away earnestly on a foggy morning.
but honey tell me why wait for te ending to be happy? :)

Sreetama said...

Happy valentine's day darling! Love u! :) Don't bother about the ending. Don't force it to be a happy one. Just let it be...Sometimes tragedy is more beautiful than comedy!

Pravin said...

:^)

Sukhaloka said...

all I can say is.. this too shall pass.
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

i tell u ur adopted stresses me out at times...can u ask him to be a tiny bit quieter...just a lil?

Anonymous said...

lovely lines...you have crafted it beautifully!

Kush said...

Nice poem, indeed.

... said...

Very touching!

Do we all have the same story, the same ending?
:)

Impressionist said...

WOW!!

-I

Wyntey said...

happy valentine's day to you too. excellent post.

CheshireCat said...

beautifully crafted.

I hope all of those who come off your pen have happy endings.
We need a few more of them in the world.

Anoo. said...

i LOVE the way she crumbles him, and crumbles (a bit) herself. cookie-like in a very uncookie way. :D

What's In A Name ? said...

"The boy doesn’t grin like you
The girl isn’t full of quirks."

Yet no one understands when theres enough time.

well written.

Arnab Gupta said...

Ooooohhhh! Wonderful.

I wonder if there is a hint of personal touch among all the impersonality...

Happy Valentine's Day, though belated... :)

storyteller said...

ah,if only everything in life would have happy endings :P

The Mad Girl said...

@Zahid- I don't want to have an end! NO!

@inihos- I hope so too.:-)

@Bedatri-I don't? I took your advice and changed the name. like it now?

@Darkling- thenkoooo.:-)

@basu-reminds you of a sparrow? chiku? and why wait matlab?

@sree- I agree whole-heartedly.

@Pravin- I take that as a compliment. thanks.

@suki- erm...it's not personal. So don't you worry.:)

@Flyingstars-thank you!:)

@ceruleus-thank you.:)

@clouds- Thanks dear.but no this isn't my story really.

@Impressionist-:).Thank you so much.

@stardust-Thank you so much.:)

@soliloquist-Thank you:)

@Anurima- cookieuncookie. Nice analogy!really!@ to you.

@what's in a name-Thank you.:-)

@Arnabda- poetry or art is never entirely impersonal. *wink*.

@Shreya-If only! But a happy beginning is just as coveted. na?